1.6
Coverage Area
Style and Design

Thought these phones were truly free after taxes were paid? Not anymore they aren't.

For several years I dealt with Assurance Wireless. I've been having technical issues with my phone and its hardware for quite some time and decided that it's time to request a new phone. Now I haven't requested a replacement phone in over 2 years. When I call Assurance Wireless and explain my problem, they tell me that I'm eligible for a replacement, but from January 2018 and onwards, customers are now required to pay $5 shipping and handling to FedEx just to receive a replacement phone.

In my 7 years of dealing with this company, I've NEVER been required to pay a cent for replacements, replacement parts, OR having them shipped.

They refused to compromise and in fact pleaded for "appreciated" customers like me to "help" them improve the phones and services by paying for the shipping. First of all, that's what our taxpayer money is for. Where is the taxpayer money going for them to try to beg and convince people to pay out of pocket when everything is supposed to be covered?! What in the *** do these companies need to suck more money from the poor for?

Not to mention, they explained that if they send you a replacement phone and you don't report or find defects within 30 days or less, you have to pay ANOTHER $5 to get another replacement.

Rinse and repeat. The problem is that a lot of these defects don't show up right away, but you'll have customer reps trying to convince you otherwise and make it out to be your fault when something happens. These programs are for lower class citizens, who aren't in the position to be exploited even more than they already are. There are people who are on fixed incomes along with borderline or flat out homeless people who use and need these phones.

We aren't in a position to shell out money for phones that don't often work properly. This is totally inconsiderate greed, out of touch business practices, and strategic exploitation.

Product or Service Mentioned: Assurance Wireless Replacement.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: A free replacement phone ; otherwise I might have to switch to Safelink, another abysmal phone company, but at least it'll more than likely be free. There aren't any good companies left..

I liked: Free.

I didn't like: Customer service, Product reliability, New policy, Technical issues.

Comments

My thoughts exactly! But what’s expected from a subpar umbrella company such as Virgin Mobile (Sprint), under the Assurance Wireless moniker.

Complete and utter disregard of people who need the service. Completely backed and payed for by our tax dollars, to only be charged for replacement phones when they should be free?!? Ludicrous I tell you! Report this company to the better business bureau!

Take them out of the Lifeline business! Safelink is a much better service anyway!